Abstract Submission Guidelines
Abstract submission is closed
The Quarries Alive Organization and Scientific Committee invite you to submit an abstract to present your work in an oral communication or poster in the Conference. To have your abstract considered, you must submit before 15 October 2017.
- Abstract submission will be made through the on-line Event Management Platform. Please, register first in the platform and wait for a confirmation e-mail to finish your sign-up.
- The person registered who submits the abstract will be considered the presenting author of the communication. Posterior change of presenting author can be considered if properly requested and justified to the Organization Committee.
- Each author is limited to contribute with only one oral communication and one poster as presenting author (except for invited speakers). There is no limit of abstract to submit as co-author.
- The Scientific Committee reserves the right to change the presentation type from oral communication to poster, depending the conference agenda and schedule limitations.
- Authors of oral communications will be given the opportunity to choose the theme of the session that they consider appropriate for their work, although the scientific committee reserves the right to change it.
- Changes regarding text formatting or English revision of submitted abstracts may be requested once accepted.
- Use this form to submit your abstract as an attachment in the Event Management Platform. Make sure to appropriately fill all requested fields and respect all formatting.
- Abstracts must be written in English. Points (.) should be adopted as decimal marks and commas (,) as thousand separators.
- The abstracts must include title (limited to 20 words), authors, affiliations, email of the presenting author, keywords (maximum 5) and main body of text (limited to 300 words).
- Abstract’s body must contain a summary of the aim, methods, key results and discussion / conclusions of your work without titles and all in a single paragraph.
- Avoid subjective and non-informative sentences (e.g., “Implications for quarry restoration will be further discussed”).
- The information provided in the abstract will be included in the conference program and book of abstracts as submitted. Please use proper capitalization throughout your abstract submission (for names and affiliations as well as in the main body of text), and don’t use all caps.
Fee for presenters
All presenting authors must pay the conference fee before 15 January 2018 in order to include the abstract in the programme and book of abstracts of the conference, and validate the communication.
All abstracts submitted will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Scientific and technical importance, reflecting new and scientific validated results, presenting cutting-edge techniques or new applicability of known tools.
- Focus on the ecological restoration, biodiversity and ecosystems services in quarries, particularly aiming the degraded areas resulting from exploitation of non-energy industry.
- Wide-range applicability, useful for understanding trends and solving issues related to the conference theme in other scientific or geographic areas.
- Well-written abstract, containing a clear topic or issue to be discussed and summarizing the key results and conclusions.
Guidelines for communications
- Oral communications have a maximum duration of 15 min and there will be a debate period for questions at the end of each session. To keep the schedule, chairs of each session will be asked to keep a strict time management.
- All communications must be presented in English.
- Keynote speakers talks comprise 30 min plus 15 min for debate.
- The grand auditorium is equipped with a beamer and a Windows computer that allows PowerPoint files (ppt/pptx) or Portable Document Format (.pdf) presentations. It will not be possible to use your own computer.
- All slides must be in the traditional 4:3 format (the 16:9 format will not work well).
- If you have demos, video clips or other special applications in your presentation, please contact the Organization Committee one week before your presentation.
- If you wish, you can use the Conference Official Presentation Template (click here to download). Otherwise, you can download the Conference Official Logo here, to use it in the first slide of your presentation.
- Authors must send the communications to the firstname.lastname@example.org until 25th April, to check the correct functioning of the presentation and display of all slides.
- We recommend limited use of animation, the use of common Windows fonts for text and symbol fonts for equations to minimize potential incompatibilities between software versions.
- We recommend speakers to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the session time, to meet the chair of the corresponding session and to ensure that the presentation has been properly loaded on the dedicated laptop. We recommended that speakers sit at or near the front of the room to facilitate the transition between presentations.
- Authors of the posters are responsible for hanging their posters upon arrival at the conference. To each poster will be assigned a number corresponding to the board number where it should be displayed. Means for attaching posters will be provided to poster presenters.
- All posters must be presented in English.
- The poster dimensions should not exceed 90 cm (2’11”) wide x 120 cm (3’11”) height.
- Allocate the top of the poster with the title and authors as stated on the submitted abstract.
- Text, illustrations, and all different components of the poster should be readable from a distance of 180 cm (6 feet).
- Poster presentations should remain on the display during the time of the conference. Authors will be required to be available at their posters during the poster session scheduled on Wednesday from 18:00-19:00.
- During this session, authors will have the opportunity to discuss their presentations with interested conference participants.
- Posters should be removed no later than Tuesday, 3rd May at 18:00. All posters not removed will be recycled. The conference will not be responsible for any posters left behind.
- The best two posters will be distinguished with an award that will be announced during the closing remarks session Tuesday from 18:00-18:30.