Abstract Submission Guidelines
Abstract submission deadline extended to 10th November
The Quarries Alive Organization and Scientific Committee invite you to submit an abstract to present your work in an oral communication or poster in the Conference. To have your abstract considered, you must submit before 15 October 2017.
- Abstract submission will be made through the on-line Event Management Platform. Please, register first in the platform and wait for a confirmation e-mail to finish your sign-up.
- The person registered who submits the abstract will be considered the presenting author of the communication. Posterior change of presenting author can be considered if properly requested and justified to the Organization Committee.
- Each author is limited to contribute with only one oral communication and one poster as presenting author (except for invited speakers). There is no limit of abstract to submit as co-author.
- The Scientific Committee reserves the right to change the presentation type from oral communication to poster, depending the conference agenda and schedule limitations.
- Authors of oral communications will be given the opportunity to choose the theme of the session that they consider appropriate for their work, although the scientific committee reserves the right to change it.
- Changes regarding text formatting or English revision of submitted abstracts may be requested once accepted.
- Use this form to submit your abstract as an attachment in the Event Management Platform. Make sure to appropriately fill all requested fields and respect all formatting.
- Abstracts must be written in English. Points (.) should be adopted as decimal marks and commas (,) as thousand separators.
- The abstracts must include title (limited to 20 words), authors, affiliations, email of the presenting author, keywords (maximum 5) and main body of text (limited to 300 words).
- Abstract’s body must contain a summary of the aim, methods, key results and discussion / conclusions of your work without titles and all in a single paragraph.
- Avoid subjective and non-informative sentences (e.g., “Implications for quarry restoration will be further discussed”).
- The information provided in the abstract will be included in the conference program and book of abstracts as submitted. Please use proper capitalization throughout your abstract submission (for names and affiliations as well as in the main body of text), and don’t use all caps.
Fee for presenters
All presenting authors must pay the conference fee before 15 January 2018 in order to include the abstract in the programme and book of abstracts of the conference, and validate the communication.
All abstracts submitted will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Scientific and technical importance, reflecting new and scientific validated results, presenting cutting-edge techniques or new applicability of known tools.
- Focus on the ecological restoration, biodiversity and ecosystems services in quarries, particularly aiming the degraded areas resulting from exploitation of non-energy industry.
- Wide-range applicability, useful for understanding trends and solving issues related to the conference theme in other scientific or geographic areas.
- Well-written abstract, containing a clear topic or issue to be discussed and summarizing the key results and conclusions.
Guidelines for communications
- Oral communications have a maximum duration of 15 min and there will be a debate period for questions afterwards
- Poster presenters must provide their poster as soon as possible and be present in the scheduled poster session, to discuss it with interested viewers.